Saturday, February 20, 2010

After puzzle 5

This is the very toughest of the seven, and there was much sighing in the rookie section. I am still fuming about missed letters from past years' fifth puzzles--"battu boy" (not to be confused with Ali G's "batty boy," a disparaging term for LGBT) was particulary irksome.

This year's #5 had its moments. Try these:
--"Universal" (5 letters, starting with TYP). I got this one and still stared at it for a long time trying to figure out whether it was right.
--"Temple pilasters" (5 letters, ending with TAE).

Thank goodness for "Guardian Angels founder Curtis" (5 letters)--I used to listen to him and Ron Kuby yell at each other on 770 radio at night while I was driving home from Nabisco late at night. If I'm ever attacked in the New York DMA, I will be looking for Curtis Sliwa and his band of vigilantes to kneecap my assailants without mercy, or something.

Did you know the 2016 Olympics will be in Rio? I guess I should have. Did you know that Hanoi is celebrating its 1000th anniversary this year? No wonder they put a Hilton there.

Another fun sartorial fact: the guy with the crossword Doc Martens and the green polyester shirt came back from lunch with different shoes and shirt. (He was still flaunting the knee highs though.) I asked him why, and he explained that his favorite team (Chelsea) had come back from a 2-0 deficit to win, and therefore he was wearing his commemorative orange shirt. And he found it "a bit slushy" outside and changed shoes (to protect the sanctity of the crossword kicks, no doubt). Okay....

Answers
TYPEO
ANTAE

No comments:

Post a Comment