Saturday, February 20, 2010

After Puzzle #1

The first one goes down easy... like a shot of whiskey, or a large spoonful of mayonnaise.
Puzzle one is always easy, but this year's was a little harder, or perhaps it is my sleep deprivation. "Smooch," four letters, ending in SS. Well, KISS, I guess, except that "sides of a doorway" (5 letters), cannot have K as its fourth letter. That one took a second look. [Answers at the bottom.]
We had the Turner who founded CNN (favoring the media-aware) and Tappan ___ Bridge, which seems a bit unfair to the KC and Lincoln contestants (although I wouldn't be surprised if the Manhattan residents have no idea either). The "aptly-name journal of the American Ornithologists' Union" (6 letters, starting with THE and ending with K) was a fun one.

Have to get back inside. More to come.




Answers:
BUSS
THE AUK

1 comment:

  1. I have been subscribing to The Auk for years ... of course, I only read it for the interviews ...

    ReplyDelete