Sunday, February 21, 2010

Top 40 after all...

The final scores are tallied, and I'm tied for 38th this year. Neil Glat, if you're reading this, you will be happy to note that Rex Parker (http://rexwordpuzzle.blogspot.com) claims to be 44th "in the universe," but he didn't compete this year, so we'll never know.

Despite a slow puzzle 7 (e.g. I lost 2 minutes to Ken Stern, who finished 37th), I picked up a few places in the rankings. For example, David Phethean, who was 3 minutes ahead of me after 6 puzzles, blew up and finished 6 minutes behind me on puzzle 7.

Interestingly for the tournament overall, Tyler Hinman finished 4th, so we will have a new champion for the first time in 6 years. Trip Payne finished 5th; I hope signing my dad's get-well note didn't jinx them both. I did say "break a leg" to them....

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Dan! Well done! - Dave Marko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, one more thing: Did you know they still thought you were a rookie at the end? They called your name to get a trophy in that division. Maybe, if they don't know, someone should tell them so whoever was in eleventh place will know they actually came in tenth? Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanie
    Yes, I became aware after the fact that they had miscategorized me. It's fixed now.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete